Thursday, March 3, 2016

Just Skip the Big Paragraph

Hi Everyone! (Seriously, just ignore this one.)

Not a ton to talk about but I'll make it as interesting as possible.

Soon after I got transferred to this ward we were told that a lady wanted to meet with us and hear more about the Boy Scout program for her sons. Up until this week she has either not been home and not calling or texting us back. (We talked to her on the phone once and scheduled an appointment, but she wasn't home when we went over.) But we finally met her and her family! She was really nice and we had fun talking through, though she asked about the differences in our churches and we ended up talking about pretty much everything. She didn't seem overwhelmed (Yay!) and asked us to come back. So. I'm pretty happy about it.

We went to the temple this week. Since it's not in our mission, we have to get member rides. Until almost the last second,(Slight exaggeration,. I'm not sure when she texted.) We didn't have a ride, and I was getting kinda worried. Our ride saw that our ward mission leader's wife put up a page asking for a member to give us a ride on Facebook. At first sdhe wasn't going to text us, but then she did. The spirit prompted her and we were all ables to go. She said she really need to be at the temple that day. So that was a testimony builder for me. (Also I saw my old MTC companion, Sister Kent!!)

This Saturday our mission did something called sacrifice Saturday. I do love our ward but it's not very missionary minded. Twice I've heard of, at least, they started going back to their church. It might not be THE church but at least it's a church. And while yes, that's true. They can get spiritually filled in their church, but they still are missing the fullness. They think we do all the work and they just generally point in a direction. I mean they feed us and we get fed every night, but other then that not really. Gordon B. Hinckley said that "Anyone who is familiar with this work, knows there's a better way." I can't find or remember the title of the talk, but basically it's about how we as missionaries need help from the members. We can go and knock on 100 doors a day and just do tracting but how many will open? How many will even listen? How many of those will we ever see again? When on the other hand you 100 people in a ward and they think of one friend who MIGHT be interested. Some will agree to come and I think you see where I'm going here. The thing is we really CAN'T do this alone. Yes. This is God's work and yes, He helps us put the best He can. I've been to two baptisms on my mission and I'm teaching someone that might be baptized. All three (yes I realize it's a small number) have friends who brought them to church, invited the missionaries over while they were there, shared testimonies, or literally (in our investigator's case) literally dragged them to a missionary lesson. We as missionaries can go out there and maybe bring in 15 people to the fold (Just as an example) but unless they are fellow shipped, they might not stay. Bringing a friend means they already have someone to fall back on and trust. And they are more likely to stay. I'm not saying all this to on a rant or complain about numbers. These people are more than numbers. They are people. They have souls, they have wishes and dreams, aspirations, and they can feel lost too. They have trials and hardships just like the rest of us. They have something missing int their lives and they aren't always quite sure what it is.

I'm not trying to give anyone a guilt trip. I'm guilty of this. But there are moments on my mission when I realized just how vital the gospel is in our life and it really is my decision on whether the guy smoking, with tattoos and saggy pants, or the man behind the door with the evil dog and the flashlight in my face, accepts the gospel or not. And what if they don't. Am I in the wrong for asking? NO. They just don't understand. They don't understand how much hope they can find and how much happiness they can have. Getting a little off topic here but since I'm thinking about it, there is honestly no worse feeling as a missionary then dropping someone. I feel like my heart gets jerked a bit. Even if I haven't met them it just hurts. Because they don't know or understand. I feel desperate to try again and again if they don't answer and if they do and flat out tell us, hey we aren't interested anymore it cuts like nothing else. Am I saying it's worse then any cut, no I'm not. It's different. You come out into the field and you dedicate so much and you pray for them and sometimes fast and then you feel the Saviors love for them and it fills you with such charity. And when you have to let it all go, it effects you.

Okay enough with all the deep talk. I can't even remember what my original point was.

So interesting things of the week we met  a lady in the ward who had over 100 baby dolls in glass cases. That scared Sister Camilleri so first the animals for Sister Diaz and then dolls for Sister Camilleri wonder what obsession is going to scare me... We bought foam swords last week and used them for companion inventory. It was fun. Both ripped but I got a work out. I also bought a doctor who water bottle to help motivate me to drink 6 bottles of water a day. So far, so good.

And that's all I have to say for now so I'm signing off.

(P.S. I'm sorry if you did read all of this.)

Sister Hayes.

No comments:

Post a Comment